Bradford ‘s older son and his wife put two and two together and came to a startling conclusion about the missing AirPods unit. As Gauthier said, “By that point, my son and wife had gotten the idea that I may have swallowed it. They brought it up jokingly at first, but it seemed too coincidental that I would be missing it when I knew I went to bed with it, while I felt a distinct blockage in the center of my chest.”
So off to the emergency room he went where Gauthier had an x-ray that showed the missing AirPod stuck in his esophagus. An emergency endoscopy removed the TWS accessory without the Gauthier experiencing anything more than minor discomfort. Bradford admitted that he had lucked out and stated that “The GI physician said it’s extremely uncommon for a blockage not to be painful or severely discomforting. It never occurred to me that [sleeping with headphones] could be a safety hazard. I was really quite lucky.” As for the AirPod that he had accidentally tried to eat, Gauthier said that it still works with the audio sounding perfect, but the microphone acts “glitchy.”
So let this be a warning to you. Take off your AirPods before your head hits the pillow each night.