Minneapolis abandons plan to pay social media influencers during Floyd trialMarch 2, 2021 0 By boss
Minneapolis has scrapped plans to pay social media influencers to post city-approved messages to combat misinformation ahead of the trial of a former police officer in the killing of George Floyd.
Details of the program were discussed during a Minneapolis City Council meeting on Friday. Under the plan, the city would have paid six social media influencers who “are considered trusted messengers” $2,000 each to share city-approved messages with the African American, East African, Hmong, Native American and Latino communities.
Editors’ top picks
Subscribe to CNET Now for the day’s most interesting reviews, news stories and videos.
In the face of backlash online and from the community, the city abandoned the plan, according to a Washington Post account of a City Council meeting on Monday.
“For this strategy, we use the term social media influencer which in retrospect did not accurately reflect what we are asking of our partners, and it caused confusion in the community,” David Rubedor, director of the Neighborhood and Community Relationship Department for the city, said during Monday’s meeting.
“This was never about trying to persuade or change public opinion about any particular message,” he said. “But it was about getting important information out quickly and in an equitable way.”
Floyd, a 46-year-old unarmed African American, died on May 25 after former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was captured on video pressing his knee on Floyd’s neck for more than eight minutes as Floyd repeatedly said, “I can’t breathe.” Protests since then have been staged worldwide, with some erupting in violence.